You’ve probably been asked the following question at some point in your life:
“If you were going to be stuck on a desert island for a year and could only bring five things with you, what would they be?”
Well, I’m not planning on being stuck on a desert island any time soon but I have been asked, “What are five things you could not live without to do your job?”
That’s a much more simple answer.
Social media marketers might answer this one a few different ways. Whether they mean literally tools like a laptop, cell phone, camera, etc., social media engagement or analytics platforms or favorite social channel.
I decided to go with a hybrid. This is my list.
- Laptop with internet, email and Photoshop. This is a pretty obvious one. I like to be prepared and often have my laptop on me. I rarely leave it at my desk at work because working an industry that moves 200mph (not that much of an exaggeration), you have to be prepared for breaking news at any time so it’s good to keep it handy. Also, I love being able to check in what fans and followers are saying at all times on accounts I manage for work. We have set a precedent with fans where they expect us to respond ASAP and engage with them in a fun and creative way. This is easily my favorite part of my job and I am happy to always be ready with a quick, quirky tweet or response to a comment that makes a social media user smile and feel more connected to the brand.
- Access to Mashable. I can’t truly express myself for Mashable enough. They are not my only source for social media news but they are my favorite.
- Music. Some people like to work in total silence. Some people like to chat with others while working. Some people, like myself, enjoy listening to music while they work. Just like one of Snow White’s Seven Dwarves, I feel like music helps me work better (even though I don’t whistle while I work). Sometimes it’s just a great distraction from office noise. Then there are other times where I lean on music to help me be more creative. For me, listening to a lot of Broadway show tunes when I find myself in a rut with writer’s block seems to do the trick. Country and pop tend to be my go-to otherwise.
- Tea. I find myself taking more of a liking to yoga in the past six months or so. I love how it’s all about focusing on your own mind and body to gain a better perspective in life. A key tool for many yogis is tea. Drinking tea is not only great for you but for me, it allows me to have a few moments of zen and relax even when there’s a lot going on at one time.
- Evernote. I love being able to jot down my ideas quickly and easily with Evernote whenever I’m on the go. Although I am guilty of sending myself reminders via one-off emails to my work account, I feel I can better organize my thoughts with Evernote and am really getting into the habit of doing so.
So fellow social media marketers, what’s on your list? Respond with your comments below.